Week 1 is in the books and we came away with a disappointing loss. It’s not THAT we lost or how much we lost it’s how we lost that makes it hard. After licking my wounds and giving it some thought here are my takeaways from the game good and bad.
- The offense can move the ball but struggles to score. Is it because they’re too committed to the pass? Because they refuse to settle for field goals unless they have very little time on the clock? Is it poor playcalling? All of the above is combined with things that just don’t go their way. (Kelce’s fumble). I’m struggling to have faith they’re going to be able to fix it at this point. If they don’t they’ll be lucky to win a playoff game let alone the Super Bowl.
- They’re still watching Jawaan Taylor. Even before he got called for false start some people were noticing that the Eagles weren’t getting called for doing the same thing Taylor tends to do. It’s evident they are still keeping an eye on him in particular and he’s either going to have to clean up his timing more or get penalties.
- L’Jarius Sneed has developed into a lockdown corner. He’s been covering some of the best receivers in the league this year and limiting them to well under 100 yards and no TDs per game. Coupled with his versatility if he doesn’t get a big payday next year it will be because he elected to stay in Kansas City for less money.
- Trent McDuffie is the best draft pick Kansas City has made since they drafted Mahomes. He may just be better than Sneed and that’s saying something. He is all over the place making plays. He also has a great off-the-field presence I love that he’s on this team and he is the next jersey I purchase (soon).
- The Chiefs need to stop being run-shy. They ran the ball regularly in the 1st half and in the 2nd half, they barely tried. Coach Reid indicated the Eagles didn’t change what they were doing in the 2nd half. So why did the Chiefs? Or at the very least why didn’t they revert back when it wasn’t working?
- I still believe this may be a championship-caliber team. Just a little cleanup would be enough to win games with this defense. Can/will they clean it up? That is the question that weighs on my mind.
In conclusion, I’m concerned about what this team will be next year and feel like this might be the best year to make another Super Bowl run with all the contacts that will end after the season. I really hope they find a way and if not I hope my feelings are in error.